Thursday, September 23, 2010

Family Update

This is for all the family out there! We are safe and sound in Bangkok. After much careful consideration and deliberation we decided our best bet was to head to Kkaosan Road to find lodging at 1am. We ended up having a non eventful cab ride (although we did see a gnarly accident) that cost around $10 and took 30min. After arriving on Khoasan  road we were surprised to see the area absolutely bustling with street vendors, drunkards, motorbikes, tuk-tuks and everything else. We did some wandering around to find lodging using air conditioning, and cleanliness as our standards. The check in times that allowed us to stay the entire 24hr day ended up being at 5 am so we grabbed some beers and posted up with a friendly old thai woman next to a mobile pad thai eatery ($1 for dinner) and just watched the people, cars, and neon lights, feeling tired and nervous but most of all thankful to have made it in an uneventful fashion. Once 5 am rolled around we moseyed over to our hotel brushed our teeth and layed our heads to rest for the night.

As for today we have no plans other than get some food and internet. Most notably try to connect with Whitney and get her our current address (Rambuttri Village Inn and Plaza, 95 Soi ram buttri, Chakka Phong, Phra Nakorn, Bangkok) so we can meet up and continue our travels together. I hope everyone at home is well and un-worried! I know we are well and happy as clams (albeit very hot and sweaty clams) and look forward to many more memories and blog posts...ciao!





Khoasan Road Street Vendor mmmmmmm!

9 comments:

  1. Phil glad your safe and enjoying the experience. I was worried the whole flight and could not believe it took 20 + hours to get there. Be safe watch your sixer. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - you're in Thailand! I can't wait to hear your description of the flora & fauna. Are there monkeys & elephants? Google earth made it look kind of dry and not as green as Vietnam. Everyone wishes you well and wanted me to give you there regards....Love you so much - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil! It's Whitney, thanks for the addy. I'm at Sawasdee Smile Inn which is also right off Soi Rambuttri (35 Soi Rongmai, Chao Fa Road, Banglumpoo, Bangkok) so should I get a room for the night here and then try to meet up with you tonight??? And then we can stay the next night all together? It's currently 4:20 do you have a phone? like did you buy a sim card? This girl I met did. I don't have internet here, so if you guys can find me that would be cool. We could just say lets meet up at....9pm at the front desk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHITE KNEE!!! YAY! we just did 2 circles around the khoasan road area looking for the sawasdee smile inn and we finally found it. You are so close! we will see you at 9pm at the sawasdee smile inn front desk. Were gonna hit the pool and drink some beers until then. CIAO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh crap I'm at your place and just got on the computer to find it out! I realized that our place was hard to find, and yours was easy so I left you a note at your front desk :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you guys! I think I stayed at whit's place when I was there last year! Crazy.... Glad to hear you guys are safe and enjoying the sites of Khoasan road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah and make sure you go on a tuk tuk adventure while in Bangkok! And never pay full price for anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil I hope all goes well. FYI UCLA 34 - Texas 13. :);) Love Dad

    ReplyDelete